Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Song

Poetry is rhythm. It's like a song except it's its very own thing. It is not background music. Though background music is important first lines are important too. Poetry is like wind. Like cold. Cut right into your middle. All the ugly that we tell. Pretty come out too. Ain't no need in hiding from a poet. Find you right between your lies. All the stanzas. Every hum. Every ahh. Each mmm. All meant to be in there. You find me in some poetry house on some stage telling the tales that I do know. Some smoky room. Some tattered notebook. Holding all my secrets. You find me in some coffeeshop. Some living room couch. Writing out my blues. Poetry is weapon. It's a tool. It's a gift. From the great good God inside. You find me at the beach. In the sand. With a stick that I done found. Telling all my business. Hiding behind some worked out metaphor. This ain't no simple gig. Pasting feelings on a page. You find out if you do try. You tell how you do. Tell that girl you love her. Give that boy your blood in some haiku. I tell you how to forgive. I'll teach you how to love. Poetry is dance. Take one step and life take two. Poetry catch you slipping. Catch you crying in your blouse. Poetry is like a whistle. Whisper right through the thin air. Put a poem in your bra. Stuff one in your pants. Put it in your purse. Carry it around in your torn wallet. Tomorrow morning you look up into the sly. Tell me the rhyme that you did say. Poetry is like a candle. Burning all throughout the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment