Thursday, April 30, 2020

We Black boy

I couldn't watch the complete video of the Rancho Cordova police officer beating the Black teen. I finished the article though. About how the video doesn't show the full context. About how the fourteen year old boy lied and said he was eighteen. How he had a Swissher Sweet and maybe he was going to hollow it out and use the paper for some weed. Like it matters. Like this boy is already criminalized. That boy. Her boy. His. Mine. Because we all deserve it. The animals that we are. Black boy should have been at home. Black boy should not have resisted. Black boy should have turned the other cheek. Whole thing looks worse than it is. What had happened was... Black boys always suspicious. All. Ways. A cop pulled up next to me one day. I looked at him and turned away. Pulled me over when the light turned green. Said I gave him eye contact. Made me look suspicious. Because who am I to look a white man in the face? I ain't nothing but a Black boy. You're a Black boy too. And you. Her. Them. We all Black boys. Criminals. Out here refusing to obey. Out here standing on our feet. Out here unwilling to go down easy. Black boy. Black boy. Never knowing our right place. Black boy. Black boy. Make me wonder everyday. When me? When you? When my mama? Yours? I could cry. If I had any good tears left. Make me afraid. To step out my own door. Scared to let go of my grown son. Black boy. Black boy. What kind of wisdom I even have to impart? Run? Don't run? Fight? Play dead? Freeze? Maybe it will always be this way. Maybe war the only thing that's left. Maybe knives. Maybe bullets. Maybe fists. Maybe words. Maybe swords. Maybe we burn this whole thing down. What this time? We ain't praying enough? Pants too low again? Music too loud? Colors too red? Too blue? Something wrong with our good faith again? What now? What we do with all this ready? All this anger? This rage boiling over. Messing up our good shoes. What prayer ain't been prayed before? What song is there left now to sing? Overcome what? Overcome when? Climb a mountain to fall down in the gutter? Black boy. Black boy. Black boy may as well go out swinging. Hands cuffed behind our backs never done us any good. Black boy I loved was driving home one night with a gun inside his vest. Cop told him to reach and put his gun on top of the hood. Black boy said no. Said you just waiting just to shoot. Black boy. Black boy. Making it home is one big gamble. Cries for help ain't never heard. Cries for breath. For freedom. Justice. Safety. Life. Black boy. Black boy. Black boy places. Black boy on your mark. Black boy ready. Black boy set. Black hands up. Black boy fists up. Fire!

No comments:

Post a Comment