Thursday, May 9, 2019

Depression

It is a wild fire
It is bigger than a hashtag
A terror a bad tooth

This sad is a death
I have died and have come back to life
I fought the devil
I got out of bed
I stayed in bed
I have been afraid of a shower
Days at a time
Avoided a toothbrush
Pained my way to the toilet

Do you want to talk about it
Do you want to change the subject
Do you want to run away
Will you listen when I call
Are you tired of me yet

Show me a valley
A voice
Greater than this depression
This thing is not convenient
Is not polite
Fuck your feelings
Fuck your life
What you believe
The god you know
This thing will keep you awake at night
Quoting scripture to you
And you call yourself a poet
Describe this heat
This brick so nasty

This thing comes with voices
That dares me to bleed
To jump
To swallow all the pills
To die more times
To wish for death
This thing is courageous
It is bold and badder than your preacher
It moves

It lives mostly in my fingers
Daring me to not have a future
It will jump in front of a moving truck
It pulls out hair
It is a wicked symphony
That will not end
It is the worst poem
It dares you to pray it away

This is a dizzy that has moved in
A building I bang my head against
Every day

3 comments:

  1. So, i don't think i've ever looked up someone's blog because I read one of their poems on facebook. Your work is startling and awe inspiring. there is a resonance there that follows me. it's been a rare and powerful thing to happen upon your work. thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANK YOU! for sharing, and for being. -Dennis Cruz

    ReplyDelete