Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Over night with client. Making a difference. Rest plans.

Good morning all! It's been a long morning. As usual, my client woke up about 2:30. I got up with him and we watched TV. I was expecting him to go back to sleep at about 4 but he is actually just now going back to sleep. It's 10:12am! That is some super stay awake! So needless to say I am super tired. I'm off at 11 and I think I'm going to go somewhere and sleep. He looks so peaceful. I gave him breakfast and changed him so he will be comfortable.

Some days I love what I do. I love the difference I get to make in someone else's life. Even if that just means keeping someone safe, fed, happy. Most of my clients have some form of dementia. It's a hard thing to live with. For those of you who saw the movie Get Out, it could be a lot like living in the sunken place. Where someone else is the host of your body and you are just a passenger. It must be really scary sometimes. Not knowing yourself or the people around you. Sometimes not even knowing your children or spouse. With me and this client, changing is our biggest challenge. I understand though. Imagine if you didn't recognize the person caring for you and this person (who is a stranger to you) keeps trying to pull your pants down and keeps following you into the bathroom. You might put up a fight too. So I wait. I wait until he's ready and comfortable. This morning I waited. And waited. Finally he let me. We are good now.

I'll be leaving here in about a half hour. I plan to rest and enjoy my day. Whatever you do, I hope you experience joy today.

Love yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment