Thursday, September 24, 2020

Faces matter

In a civics class my senior year of high school my teacher put pictures of politicians who were active at the time. We had to name them to get a passing grade on the test. She said that it was very important that we not only knew their names and jobs, but our ability to recognize their faces was important too. I didn't pass the test. I only got out of the class with a C. That's another story. How many non Black people today would recognize the faces of Breonna Taylor, Mike Brown, Oscar Grant, George Floyd or any others of our kin MURDERED? My old teacher wanted to impress upon us the importance of recognizing the faces of politicians in a small black and white box because their faces mattered. You know where I'm going with this. I won't waste your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment