Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Long work week. Patience. Home.

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 12:27am

Just got in. I had a good shift tonight. I'm coming off of a long work week. Last week I had a client from 6pm to 11pm then left her and went to another client in Inglewood at 11:30pm to 12:00pm then came home for sleep then got back on the freeway headed to my Long Beach client at 6 again. It wasn't fun but I survived. I also got a new client in Inglewood. I start with her on the 10th. I hope it goes well.

I was thinking about the patience it takes to do the job I do. It not only takes patience but the ability to really put yourself in the client's shoes. My client in Inglewood has dementia and is home alone for a few hours before I get there. Now, imagine being him and seeing someone walk in your home with a key and start acting like they belong there. That could be pretty scary. I was also thinking about what it must be like to be my Long Beach client. Sometimes she is my most challenging client but I do understand her struggle. I am a person who twists and turns a lot in bed at night trying to find the right position. It was a nightmare for me when I was pregnant. Imagine being her who needs help twisting into every position. Imaging needing help just moving one leg behind the other or turning over in bed. Well that's her. I spend a lot of time in prayer before I go into my client's homes. Praying for a good shift. And by good I mean praying for the patience I need to do the job and praying for strength, physical and mental. Praying for the client. Just...praying.

Well I'm home now and I don't have to work until 7pm tomorrow. I have another client in Los Angeles I'm working with. She's my favorite. She will be 102 years old this month. She's still walking (with a walker), still talking, still hanging in there. She has dementia also so her conversation is a bit limited sometimes but she also has a great imagination so she makes up answers to questions and tells beautiful stories. I love her.

It's a good thing I don't go in until later because I have some serious reading to catch up on and I also have to go pick up my meds. I've been without them for a few days now and I don't like going too long. I started to do it this morning but I was too tired. Also, my floors aren't going to mop themselves.

Well it's after midnight so I'm going to try to get some sleep.

Love yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment