Saturday, September 8, 2018

Grandfather. Chess. Songs.

Wow! Today would have been my grandfather's 101st birthday. I miss hearing him sing in the kitchen. Miss hearing him pray with the deacons in the front of the church during devotion. It's odd but I even miss riding with him, my grandmother and sister in the station wagon to church with the windows all rolled up and the ac blasting while he smoked a cigarette. Ok, maybe I don't miss that. Maybe I just remember it. But I do miss him. And how he enjoyed playing chess with his sons. I don't think I ever played him. I don't think any of the grandchildren played him in chess. Well maybe Deon. I miss hearing him argue with the Sunday school class. "The point of it is..." is what he would say really loud like that was supposed to silence the person he was talking to. I wonder how often it worked. I miss the way he would keep the grass in the front yard and back yard impeccable. People would pull over and get out of their cars to tell us how beautiful the grass looked. I miss taking care of him during his days of dementia. I remember there were days he didn't know who I was coming in the door late at night but he would welcome me anyway. I used to fall asleep on the chair next to his in the living room and once I fell asleep before he did and I woke up to him putting a blanket over me. I know he loved me. I don't think he ever said it. I never heard him say it to anyone but I know he loved us.

Miss you, Granddaddy. Hope you had a great heavenly birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment